As any professional photographer can tell you, family photo sessions are some of the most important and most cherished moments to capture. Whether it’s your own family, or a client’s, there are certain factors that need to be kept in mind in order to capture the perfect memory. From choosing the right time and location to properly preparing your subjects, there’s a lot that goes into a successful family photo session. To help you out, let’s take a look at four factors that you have to remember when doing a family photo session:
1. Choose the Right Time: The most important part of any photo session is selecting the right time to shoot. Take into account the optimal lighting conditions that will best capture the faces and moods of your subjects. A time when everyone will feel relaxed and comfortable, ideally at least an hour before sunset or sunrise.
2. Pick a Good Location: You want to choose an ideally-suited location for the family session according to their fashion sense, hair color, and complexion. Also, if possible choose an outdoor location with few background distractions; this will ensure all attention is focused on the real star of the show – your beautiful family!
3. Prepare Your Subjects: Make sure everyone is well-rested and dressed in outfits that suit their environment and personality. If you’re working with small kids, be sure to bring treats or small presents like toys. This will ensure they remain engaged and happy during the session for some great shots!
4. Attention to Detail: As with any photographic endeavor, attention to detail is essential in a family session. Take multiple angles and perspectives from different shooting positions in order to capture different nuances of your subjects. Also, it would be wise to avoid posed shots as these tend to turn out quite artificial – focus instead on true emotion and capture candid shots of life’s everyday moments.
By keeping these key factors in mind for your next family photo session project, you’ll certainly be able to get some great shots that your clients (or yourself!) can treasure forever!
It’s a great way to capture precious memories and create beautiful keepsakes, but a family photo session can also be a nerve-wracking experience that you want to get just right. When you sit down to plan your shoot, here are four vital factors you need to keep in mind:
1. Location: The setting of your shoot should complement the personalities of your family members so try and pick somewhere that is meaningful or choose an interesting spot with plenty of texture and atmosphere. Outdoor photography tends to be more relaxed and natural too so don’t forget about parks or beaches for a great backdrop.
2. Wardrobe: It’s important that everyone in the family wears something that fits their personality, as this will ensure confidence in front of the camera. You want the focus to be on the faces, not the outfits, so avoid bold patterns and distracting logos; rather opt for natural textures and muted tones instead. An extra outfit or two may come in handy just in case of spills or accidents!
3. Mood: Don’t be afraid to have some fun during the session and encourage your family members to be themselves. A professional photographer will know how to bring originality and creativity into the shoot but make sure everyone is comfortable and well-fed before they take their places in front of the camera.
4. Momentum: When taking multiple poses, it helps to have a steady momentum going throughout the session. If someone is struggling with ideas or finding it hard to maintain expressions, having toys or props on hand can help inject some enthusiasm into the process and get everyone back on track quickly.
Doing some research ahead of your session is key – researching potential locations, coming up with clothing ideas and getting organized overall – but apart from being aware of these important factors, having fun and embracing spontaneity will ensure stunning results from your family photo shoot too!